Search This Blog

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Repentance and Restoration

Discipline is tough.  Self-discipline is even tougher.  My old friend, Noah Webster, defines discipline in many ways, but I find the following one intriguing:  "To execute the laws of the church on offenders, with a view to bring them to repentance and reformation of life."  Self-discipline is defined as:  "training, correction, or regulation of oneself for the purpose of improvement."  Let's take a closer look at some of those words and the concepts they convey.

Repentance is the combination of two ideas... real and penitence.  It is a genuine sorrow experienced in the heart of a person as a consequence of dishonoring God's laws.  The act of sincere repentance shows the desire to be restored to a right relationship with the Creator.  From that act emerges reformation:  the process of abandoning that which is evil, amendment of past behavior, and a shaping/forming anew of someone's behavior and life.

In general practice, when administering discipline to someone (especially children) we seem to have an expectation that they will say they're sorry for what they've done.  We may even pry that word from their lips under threat of more dire consequences for failure to say it.  "Okay, Jimmy, tell your brother you're sorry for hitting him over the head with your G.I. Joe doll."  **Pause... sigh... heave**  "I'm sorry."  I am pretty sure we would all agree that this simple utterance of the word "sorry" in no way actually reflects an honest repentance of the heart.  In fact, it probably doesn't even reflect an honest understanding of why the act was wrong to begin with.  In addition, choking out the apology certain will not promise reformation.  There's a very good chance that G.I. Joe will go right on being viewed as a weapon when frustrations boil over.  If repentance is the goal and a change of behavior is the desired effect of that goal, both must be proceeded by a full understanding of why the behavior is wrong and a clear indication of how to amendment it in the future.  We all have a need to express frustration and anger at times in our lives.  What we need to learn is how to do it without dishonoring God and others in the process.

Self-discipline is even more difficult because we have no one to hold us accountable apart from ourself... or do we?  Certainly, for the believer, the Holy Spirit will call us to accountability through heart messages.  However, it is often very helpful to secure an accountability partner "with skin on."  We may choose to seek out a close friend or someone who we know has experienced victory over the same sort of issue we now face.  That is why programs like Weight Watchers and Alcoholics Anonymous are so successful.  Those involved in them share a similar struggle one with the other.  They can identify the feelings being experienced and can often foresee pitfalls.  Ultimately, others cannot do for a person what he or she must do for themselves, but support and encouragement will go a long way toward achieving self-discipline.

Last year my husband and I agreed that it was far past time for us to get our eating habits and general health under some control.  We had both been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, high blood pressure, and severely elevated cholesterol levels.  In addition, I was struggling with irritable bowel syndrome, my husband had been placed on a C-Pap machine for sleep apnea treatment, and we fought increasing symptoms of arthritis pain and stiffness.  After years of playing around with a healthier diet, only to resort back to pizza and fast food on a regular basis, I came under conviction of the Holy Spirit that not only was I responsible for our failing health (since I am the person who purchases the groceries and prepares the meals in this home), but that I was also guilty of dishonoring God by treating this "temple of the Holy Spirit" with little, if any, respect.
In front of our entire church congregation one Sunday morning, I confessed my sin openly and asked for prayerful support as I began the process of restoring our bodies to a place of honor with the Lord.  One year and numerous Weight Watchers meetings later, I had gone from a size 22-24 to a size 8-10;  Bob had shrunk from a 2X shirt to a size Small and 40-42 waist pants to a 32" trouser.  The C-pap machine was retired to a drawer in the bedside stand, irritable bowel was only an unpleasant memory, and we were moving with a freedom we hadn't known in years.  All the while we both received much encouragement from our church family and those at my Weight Watchers meetings who had experienced the same struggle in their lives.  Today, both my husband and I have had our diabetes medications discontinued as well as the medicines we took for high blood pressure.  My cholesterol levels are within acceptable limits and my husband needs only take one small dose of medication to control his.  For the first time in years I am able to get up and down a flight of stairs without assistance, and our pain levels have been drastically reduced.

People often tell me we have shown great self-discipline.  I am quick to point out the scripture that says clearly, "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline."  (II Timothy 1:7)  In our own power, we had failed miserably to exercise self-discipline and the results were painfully obvious.  In the power of Almighty God through the daily leading and strength of the Holy Spirit, we have experienced a level of victory that has become an inspiration to others.  What made the difference?  Repentance led to restoration. 

I don't know what your struggle is, my friend.  Perhaps others have tried to level discipline upon you in order to effect change.  Maybe you have even tried to develop self-discipline that would free you from the bondage of your sin.  Nothing has worked for you... just as it had not worked for me.  The world might have forced the word "sorry" from my lips, but it was not sincere and it was never going to lead me to restoration.  Only when I became aware of the voice of the Holy Spirit and committed myself to His leading was I to experience a victory and be able to equip my husband to accept that same victory.  It was not easy, and we continue to walk in faith daily, asking for renewed strength each morning, to face the temptations of this world.  We won't get it exactly right this side of heaven, but I will be able to face God one day in the knowledge that I have shown due honor and respect for the body given to me-- the body and life for which Christ died.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body."  (I Corinthians 6:19-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment