Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Regarding Our Bodies

In my last blog I addressed the issue of self-discipline in the area of finances (not that I have totally mastered that area in my own life... but I'm working on it).  This time around I would like to "think aloud" about self-discipline where our health habits are concerned.  Now, this is one touchy subject matter and I know I'm treading on thin ice, but sometimes we just have to be willing to speak the truth in love and allow the Holy Spirit to do the rest.  So, here goes!

The medical and pharmaceutical industries are among the most powerful organizations in our world today.  Billions upon billions of dollars are spent annually worldwide in addressing the health issues of the population.  In addition, billions more are spent on alternative sources, such as the vitamin industry and holistic approaches to wellness.  (At least this money is aimed at trying to prevent illness rather than just treat its symptoms.)  However, I believe that the majority of the money thrown into these industries could be spent elsewhere (like missions, maybe?) if we would simply take charge of our bodies and make choices that would represent our good stewardship of that which we have been given of God.  Doing so requires the exercise of self-discipline.

I doubt that anyone reading this blog will not know that smoking is bad, bad, bad for health.  Nonetheless, as I drive through my own State of South Carolina I pass by countless fields of tobacco being carefully tended by dedicated farmers who make their living raising and selling the product.  Packs of cigarettes line the shelves behind every grocery counter.  Chewing tobacco is of common use in this part of the country, as well.  I have been fortunate to never have succumbed to the addiction of nicotine, but I do know that it is a powerful drug that holds many people captive... but it is an addiction that can be conquered with the help of God Almighty and the exercise of self-discipline.  Through the strength offered by the Holy Spirit, we have the ability to be set free from cigarettes or other tobacco usage.
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear), but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control"
(2 Timothy 1:7, Amplified Bible)
Smoking leads to a host of other health problems.  There is no question about that.  Countless research projects have proven its detriment over decades of study and research.  

If you are fortunate enough not to struggle with nicotine addiction, perhaps this next issue will touch a nerve:  Obesity is the leading factor in resultant health issues worldwide.  OUCH!  That one strikes close to home for me.  A little over one year ago I wore a size 24 dress (and I am only 5'3" tall).  I was in terrible health and battling high blood pressure, diabetes, and a whole host of other health problems directly attributable to my obesity.  In fact, the doctor informed me (much to my dismay) that I was considered "morbidly obese" at that time.  In short, that phrase means that my overweight condition would most probably result in an early death for me as a result of associated health problems.  Together with my husband I determined to get a handle on the situation and we lost significant weight over a ten month period of time.  My husband went from a size 42" waist to a 32" one, and I went from that size 24 dress to a 10-12.  Our diabetes was halted and our blood pressures returned to normal.  We never felt better in our adult lives.  Now, I am ashamed to say we've allowed some of that weight to creep back on, but we recently determined again to get serious about our health and get those 10-15 pounds back off before they become 50 or 60 pounds.  It takes self-discipline to lose weight, exercise, and make healthy choices for our bodies, but praise the Lord we don't have to do it all alone!  The Holy Spirit is always at our side and ready to give us strength and guidance if only we seek Him in our daily choices.

Obviously, there are many other factors that will determine our overall health.  Issues of alcohol consumption, the use of drugs, poor (or absent) exercise, lack of sufficient sleep, an overabundance of stress... these and more can contribute to poor health and a decline in the condition of the bodies we've been given in this life.  Stewardship does not apply to our finances alone, but to everything God has entrusted to our care, and that includes our mortal body.
"Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God?  You are not your own, you were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own].  So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body."
(I Corinthians 6:19-20, Amplified Bible)

Remember, friends, that we are not expected to reach perfection in this life.  But we are called to excellence, and that includes excellence in self-discipline and stewardship where our bodies are concerned.  This is one tough area to conquer, and I know that all too well... but it can be done through the strength of the Spirit Who lives in every believer.  If you have been angered by this post it may be because you have come under conviction, as I have, that something in your personal life needs to change.  Perhaps you have lost self-control in a certain area and it is negatively affecting your health.  Today is the day to address that.  Confession is the beginning that leads to forgiveness and strengthening.
"If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He (God) is faithful and just (true to His own nature and promises) and will forgive our sins [dismiss our lawlessness] and [continuously] cleanse us from all unrighteousness [everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought, and action]."
(I John 1:9, Amplified Bible)

We will either be internally governed (through the exercise of self-discipline) or we will be externally governed (by doctors, hospitals, and the pharmaceutical industry).  I pray we believers will make the right choice.  Today is grocery shopping day for our household.  Hm-m-m, guess I'll be spending a lot more in the produce section this time around.

"But [like a boxer] I buffet my body [handle it roughly, discipline it by hardships] and subdue it, for fear that after proclaiming to others the Gospel and things pertaining to it, I myself should become unfit [not stand the test, be unapproved and rejected as a counterfeit]."
(I Corinthians 9:27, Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment