Search This Blog

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pillow Cases for Christ

Satan loves to distract God's people or to give them false understanding of His Word (as found in the Bible).  One of the devil's tricks is to make believers think that "ministry" is the calling of those who are employed by the church, who hold particular church offices, or whose work is selected, sanctioned, and supervised by the local church.  Today, I would like to offer a different look at ministry-- one that is not based on the devil's narrow concept of the word.

The word ministry comes from the Greek word diakonia, which means service.  It is from that Greek word that we get the term deacon.  However, service is not to be viewed only as the duty of deacons, pastors, or other officially sanctioned members of the church.  Every believer in Christ is called to work and serve in His name in order to be a shining example of Jesus in a dark and needy world.  Ministry involves work; and work done for the purpose of representing Jesus Christ equates to worship of God.
"So then, whether you eat or dink, or whatever you may do, do all for the honor and glory of God."
(I Corinthians 10:31, Amplified Bible)

God is glorified whenever our work is done with a thankful heart and with complete commitment toward Him.  When we serve in such a way (whatever that service may look like), we become a living example of the manifest grace of God in the life of man.

Recently, I began to desire to find a meaningful place of service in my life.  When I started to pray that God would lead me to such a place, I was surprised at what He laid on my heart.  Surprised, I suppose, because I had been guilty of viewing service through the looking glass of Satan's deception and thinking it was something I could only do if I became part of a ministry team or an officially sanctioned effort of a local church.  The problem with that?  It wasn't happening!  So when I prayed for the opportunity to minister to others in Christ's name, the Lord placed into my heart and mind a ministry of pillow cases!!  Can you believe it?  Pillow cases!  What a strange thought.  How on earth could sewing pillow cases be seen as a ministry?  Now let me say here that I do love making pillow cases.  I'm not talking about your standard idea of what a simple pillow case looks like.  Rather, I'm referring here to a "specialty" pillow case for which I have a simple, but elegant pattern.  Each case requires the use of three separate fabrics, all coordinating in some way.  When finished, each one becomes a miniature work of art that causes people to smile and to run their hands over the surface in wonder and admiration.  Every pillow case I have created has culminated in the joyful smile of the person to whom I have given it.

So the question then became "How do I turn making pillow cases into a ministry of service?"  God was faithful to lay a particular cross section of people on my heart.  Having been a recipient of the hospice organization (not for myself, but for some people whom I loved dearly), I am particularly thankful for those people who are called to service in that area.  Hospice workers are a unique kind of people.  They daily bring great love, mercy, and compassion into the lives of patients who are facing end-of-life challenges and the families and loved ones of those patients.  The Lord spoke clearly and simply to me:  Make pillow cases and take them to the nearest hospice facility as a gift to the patients there.  Ask the staff to distribute them, allowing each patient to choose a case that they like from a selection you have furnished.  When that patient passes, their family should be allowed to take that pillow case home with them as a gentle reminder of the one they loved so dearly in life.  

As I thought about it, I began to realize that this "simple" ministry could have far-reaching effects on people.  Since hospice patients spend most of their time in bed, their view of the world around them becomes very restricted.  Perhaps the opportunity to look through a selection of beautiful little works of art, choosing one for themselves, and then enjoying it day by day would bring a small measure of joy to their hearts.  Family members might be involved in the act of choosing just the right case.  Those closest to the patient would surely want to know from where that special pillow case came.  Nurses and doctors caring for the patient would wonder and ask the origin of that work.  In short, everyone who views the pillow case will have questions, and the answer will always be:  "Someone who loves the Lord God and desires to minister in His name makes these pillow cases for the purpose of serving the people in this facility."

There you have it.  To some, my ministry will appear insignificant and quirky.  To those benefiting from it, it will be a moment of realizing that someone cares about their suffering.  Someone is praying for them and for their family.  Someone is showing the love of Jesus Christ to them, inviting them to know His love in a personal way for themselves.  Psalm 67 instructs us to make the love of God known to all the world. 

I recently shared the idea of my new ministry with a friend of mine who lives on our street.  She is not well and suffers from advanced COPD that keeps her confined to her home and often to her bed for days at a time.  She responded to my description of this service by saying, "I can't sew and I can't really work to make your ministry a success, but what if I gave you some money to buy fabric for your pillow cases?  Would that help?  Would that make me a part of your ministry?"  What a precious friend!  What an amazing heart of love she has.  

  While I continue my seminary studies, I will use this time wisely and serve my Lord in love through my pillow case ministry.  I trust He will bless my efforts and provide all I need to make it a reality.  I will do my very best job of sewing, pressing, and folding.  I will pray over each pillow case, asking God to use it as an encouragement in someone's life.  And I will worship and glorify God through every stitch.  Every believer in Christ has a ministry, a place of service, a work they are called to do for the purpose of making God's love known.  We have all been given a mission field.  Mine is at the sewing machine and in the McCall Hospice House (at least for this time of my life). Have you found yours?

"Whatever may be your task, work at it heartily (from the soul), as [something done] for the Lord and not for men, knowing [with all certainty] that it is from the Lord [and not from men] that you will receive the inheritance which is your [real] reward.  [The One Whom] you are actually serving [is] the Lord Christ (the Messiah)."
(Colossians 3:23-24, Amplified Bible)

No comments:

Post a Comment