Search This Blog

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Leak

Today is one rainy, rainy, rainy day in South Carolina.  I'm talking the kind of rain that makes you start looking for an ark.  Our back yard resembles a small lake right now, and the rain just keeps coming.  In fact, it was raining so hard at 6:00 a.m. that I awoke from my sleep and got out of bed just to see what was happening.  (For anyone who does not know me well, I am certainly not an early morning person and do not typically get out of bed willingly at 6:00 a.m.)  Sometime later, my husband rolled out of the sack and headed for the kitchen to start a pot of morning coffee for the two of us.  It didn't take long for him to discover that we had a serious problem... a leak!  A serious lead had developed in the roof and water was flowing down our kitchen wall flooding the countertops and spilling over onto the floor.  It was a mess, and one that had to be immediately addressed.  Despite the horrible conditions outside, Bob dressed in a rain suit (from his motorcycle), braved the downpour, and climbed up onto the roof of our house to locate the source through which the rain was entering.  A few minutes later I heard the pounding of a hammer followed by the return of my very soaked hubby and the noticeable slowing of the encroaching flow of water through the kitchen ceiling.  As I type this post, Bob is off to the home supply store to purchase some waterproof sealant, after which he will again mount the housetop and complete the necessary repairs.  As for the kitchen ceiling and wall, we will need to allow them to dry out before we can successfully determine the degree of damage and the steps needed to fix it.

You may be asking yourself what all this has to do with spiritual matters (since that is, of course, the basis of my blog).  In the midst of the commotion and our attempts to deal with this unsettling issue, I found it possible to give thanks to God.  I praised Him for giving us this home.  There are millions of people worldwide who have no home in which to live and who are subjected to the elements every day.  I praised God that the leak didn't happen over the top of our bed, thereby allowing us a good night's sleep prior to facing the turmoil.  I praised Him that I have a husband who possesses the knowledge and ability to address the problem and effect a repair.  I praised God that the cost to stop the leak would be minimal.  I praised Him for protecting Bob up on the roof.  I even praised Him that the rainstorm did not contain any lightning at this point.  (It should be noted here that severe thunderstorms are forecast for later today.)  I praised God... and then I praised God some more... and then I continued to praise God even more.  Giving thanks and offering praise to Almighty God is a habit to be cultivated in the Christian walk.

As long as we live on this fallen planet, we will be faced with problems in life.  We are a part of the world, but Jesus Christ assures us,  
"I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence.  In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]!  For I have overcome the world.  [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]"  (John 16:33, Amplified Bible)                          

Even in light of a terrible roof leak, I am able to see the blessings given to us by our Heavenly Father, and I choose to give Him praise and thanksgiving in all things.  Do not be mistaken, it is a choice we must make... and not always one that is easy.  When adversity is staring us in the face, it is tempting to give in to despair and discouragement.  As believers in Christ, we are called to make a choice to act in obedience and give thanks to God in all things.  It is truly amazing the level of peace and confidence that is our when we obey that command.  A leak in our ceiling no longer has the power to rob us of our confidence and joy!!

As you face the challenges of this day, I pray you will cultivate a habit of thanksgiving for all God has given you.  His love is eternally secure; His power is without limits; His knowledge is beyond our comprehension; and His protection is promised to those who believe on Him.  As you give thanks and praise to God, you will be unleashing His mighty power in your life, and those around you will see that the Lord really does make a difference in our lives every day.

"Thank [God] in everything [no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks], for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]."  (I Thessalonians 5:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment