Search This Blog

Friday, August 1, 2014

So Many Things, So Little Time

Wow, have I been busy!  It feels as if I've been going through life lately with my tail on fire.  There are those times in life when we do feel overwhelmed and ill-equipped to meet all the challenges and demands put upon us.  The real truth, though, may often be that it is we ourselves who are responsible for the majority of those pressures.  There are so many opportunities out there, and we just don't want to miss out on any of them.  However, spreading ourselves too thin will only make us ineffective and over-tired.

If you consider light, you might get a clearer understanding of the problem at hand.  We can put a big bulb into a large flashlight and manage to illuminate a fairly large spot in the darkness.  However, the light will probably not be strong enough around the perimeter to afford us the ability to read or do any close work effectively.  Or, we can find a spotlight that focuses all its energy onto a much smaller area.  Within its radius, we can surely see clearly to do many things.  And then, there's the laser... a focused beam of light so intense that it can burn through metal objects or carve into stone.  Now that's some power!  It's all a matter of concentrating the power of light in order to achieve a specific purpose.

In life, there are so many wonderful opportunities in the world that we sometimes forget we simply cannot do them justice if we try to accomplish too many of those things at one time.  It becomes an issue of prioritizing and making selective decisions in how we will invest our time and energies.  Devoting ourselves completely to one or two vital issues allows us to "burn through" those projects and make a real difference.  Of course, we'll have to shine in other places just a bit now and then, but the trick is to use our focused abilities for those things that will make a difference for eternity.

I am currently involved in coordinating a major, community-wide, interdenominational revival event for my home town here in South Carolina.  It is a daunting challenge, but one for which I am particularly well suited.  My strongest spiritual gift is that of administration (organization).  But even with that gift, I must still accept that it would be impossible for me to do everything necessary to make this revival a reality.  I need the help, talent, and expertise of others.  I must learn to delegate tasks to people who can be trusted to carry through and accomplish what must be done.  Moses learned this lesson when he tried to be the sole judge for the entire Jewish nation during their desert existence.  His father-in-law, Jethro...leave it to someone named Jethro to really "hit the nail on the head," so to speak (oh, and think Jethro Gibbs, NCIS agent, not Jethro Bodine of Beverly Hillbillies fame)... to point out to this strong man of God (Moses) that what he was trying to do was simply not wise.  In Exodus 18, Jethro pointed out to his son-in-law that it was foolish for him to try to handle all the issues and complaints of the Jewish people when there were plenty of wise, experienced leaders around him who could help shoulder that burden.

Maybe, like me, you're finding yourself spread a bit too thin.  It could be time for you to look around and find yourself some help, my friend.  When your responsibilities to family begin to suffer, when your church attendance begins to suffer, when your health begins to suffer, or when your private time with the Lord begins to suffer, it is time to stop, re-assess your priorities, and delegate responsibilities to others in whom you can trust.  Henry Ford once said, "The question, 'Who ought to be the boss?' is like asking, 'Who ought to be the tenor in the quartet?'  Obviously, the man who can sing tenor."  You know the people in whom you can trust.  You already know the people who can get things done and consistently do them well.  And you know that you are not the only person on the planet capable of handling a challenge.

So, thanks to my precious sister, I have been reminded that I've been amiss in my responsibility to my blog.  (Although I must admit to being somewhat surprised that someone actually missed my postings... how 'bout that?!)  I will try to better.  Now, you will have to excuse me while I make some phone calls, type some e-mails, create some biographical sketches, schedule some publicity photo shoots, determine the menu for our pastors' informative breakfast, run through my sermon for Sunday, practice my solo, start some supper, throw in a load of laundry, make the bed, and touch up my make-up before my hubby gets home.  Gotta maintain that June Cleaver appeal, you know.  WHEW!  I'm getting tired just thinking about it all!!!

"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."
Psalm 90:12

No comments:

Post a Comment