Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Autumn of My Life

Today is a chilly, cloudy, rainy sort of a day outdoors.  It is not the kind of day that lends itself to high spirits or fun activities for most people.  In fact, it seems that days like today have a tendency to make us all want to crawl back into bed and pull the covers up tightly around our necks.  I must admit that I am not very motivated to accomplish great things on such a day as this.  Nevertheless, time continues its relentless march across my life, and I can little afford to waste a day... even a rainy, dreary day.  Convinced of that, I determined to make a list of productive activities I can achieve indoors and am beginning to cross things off the list as the morning progresses.  I've written three letters to family members in Mississippi and Michigan, have begun filling in my daily planner for the week (although there is still work to be done on that), and am now composing this post for my blog.  Later, I'll need to prepare a supper, straighten things around the house, and head for mid-week services and choir practice at the church.  Time marches on, and so must I.

Chilly days will be presenting themselves regularly now.  We are approaching the autumn season and the realization that winter looms on the horizon.  Thankfully, winters in South Carolina are relatively mild, and my aged bones appreciate that more with every passing year.  Nonetheless, winter is a reality even in this region of the States.  I find solace in knowing that it is a milder season than what we used to experience up in southwest Michigan, though, and it certainly is shorter lived than the 5 or 6 months of blistering cold and snow that finds its way off Lake Michigan each winter.  It was not unusual to awaken to a fresh blanket of 4 to 6 inches of powdery snow on a regular basis there.  Certainly, it was not perceived with such gaiety and excitement as I've seen here in South Carolina.  I guess it truly is all a matter of perspective.

Some years ago I discovered a wonderful book written by Charles Swindoll entitled "Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life."  It is a devotional book, of sorts, though it does not follow a strict daily or weekly schedule.  I've read the book several times now, and each time find some new nugget of truth and encouragement in the pages.  One thing is certain, we all go through seasons in our lives... and change is something we cannot avoid.

I guess if I were to be truthful, I'd have to say that as a 62-year-old woman I am probably entering into the autumn of my life.  Certainly, there is far more life behind me than there is before me at this point.  However, I must also say that I am looking forward to this season and what is to follow with greater anticipation than ever before in my life.  It comes as a total surprise to me that God can still use a woman of my age to accomplish things for His glory.  Most of you know that I am a full-time seminary student.  In addition, I enrolled and was accepted into a counseling program at the Redeemer Biblical Counseling Training Institute this semester.  I also teach Sunday school classes, hold a staff position as Director of Music at my church, teach adult discipleship training there, and have recently taken on the responsibilities of tutoring home schooled students in a study skills course once a week.  Add to these things my duties as a wife, mother, and grandmother and you can well imagine that my daily planner stays pretty much full.  At a season in time when most people are contemplating the leisurely lifestyle they dream of in retirement years, I am finding myself busier and more fulfilled than I have ever been.

As far as I can tell by my personal research, there is no reference to "retirement" in the Holy Scriptures.  Abraham never retired.  Moses certainly did not retire.  The Apostle Paul remained actively involved in ministry without any consideration of retirement.  These men serve as examples of Godly service to me, and I am encouraged to know that the Lord chose to use them to accomplish great things for His kingdom even though they were not young men.  In fact, it would seem that their advanced ages brought advanced wisdom, knowledge, and invaluable experience.  I trust that God can use me, also, in this time of my life.

It may be necessary for me to slow the pace somewhat, and I may need to rest a bit more often, but in doing so I am also able to take more time carefully appreciating the world around me, enjoying quality moments spent in the company of people I value, and basking in quiet communion with my Lord and Savior.  The glorious "colors" of the autumn of my life bring great joy to my heart.  I look forward with anticipation and eagerness to the months and years to come.  Retirement is simply not a working word in my vocabulary.  I encourage each of you reading this post to live your life to the fullest, serving and worshiping Almighty God in everything you do and in every day He gives to you.  As a fictitious George Bailey would say:  "It's a wonderful life!"  In whatever season you find yourself, live and enjoy every day to the glory of God.

 "This is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
(Psalm 118:24)

No comments:

Post a Comment