Search This Blog

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Joy of the Lord is My Strength

It is not uncommon for me to awaken during the night with a need to use the bathroom.  For most of us over 50 years of age, this is a commonplace occurrence and one that we simply take in stride.  I generally wander across the bedroom in the dark and make my way to the toilet and back to bed almost by sheer instinct, to simply drift back off to sleep.  Last night was a bit different, though.  I awoke in the earliest morning hours to make my constitution journey to the bathroom, but as I arose from the bed a rather "sick" feeling swept over me.  I became aware of a dull headache immediately.  As I slowly navigated through the darkness, a sense of nausea began to creep in.  By the time I made it back to my bed I was wondering, "Am I coming down with something?  Why do I feel so sick?"  Since my husband and I are fully involved in planning a trip to Michigan to spend time with our daughter and her family and to meet our newest grandchild for the first time, I was understandably concerned that an illness setting in could derail all our plans.  I got back into bed, settled myself, and chose to go back to sleep with the hope that morning would bring a better sense of wellness.

As is always the case, morning did indeed arrive right on time.  My husband had risen earlier than I and was already gone from the house to make an early morning business meeting with a colleague.  I sat up in the bed and quickly began to realize that the "sick" feeling from the earlier hours had not dissipated.  My stomach was unsettled and a dull throbbing had taken over my head and neck.  The first question I asked myself was, "Did I do something last night that would have resulted in me being sick today?"  By that I mean, did I choose to eat something unhealthy that might have upset my stomach?  Had I made dietary choices that could now be affecting my blood sugar and/or blood pressure?  Did I allow myself to go to bed feeling angry, without resolving whatever might have caused that anger to well up within me?  Was I harboring any bitterness or unforgiveness in my heart against someone?  I can honestly say that my answer to all these questions was "no."  You see, sometimes the "sick" feelings we experience in life are simply the consequences to unwise choices we have made.  However, since my conscience was clear I determined that this low level malady was simply Satan's way of trying to interfere with my joy and contemplation of our blessed reunion with our daughter, son-in-law, and precious grandchildren... and I refused to accept it.

I got up from bed, turned on the television to hear some anointed preaching from a couple of dedicated Christians whom I admire and support, poured myself a cup of coffee, and took up residence in my favorite chair.  First, I listened to about half an hour of good Gospel preaching.  Next, I turned off the set and went into the bedroom to get dressed for the day.  I began to straighten things up in the house, but not before I chose to go open the window blinds so the sunshine could stream into each room.  I made the choice to tackle my daily responsibilities with an attitude of joy and thanksgiving for each of the marvelous gifts God has given to me.  Since I know that "The joy of the Lord is my strength" (Nehemiah 8:10b), I could navigate the responsibilities of this day in complete assurance that His strength and grace is always sufficient.

II Corinthians 12:9 says it this way:  "But He (the Lord) said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness.  Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!" 

To me that means God is ready to help me deal with any "sick" feeling that may come my way in life.  He is a God of immeasurable love and is not the giver of illness.  When I could not honestly identify any sin in my life that had led to my ill feelings, I was confident with the knowledge that they were coming from the Enemy.  No problem... God has given me authority (through Christ Jesus and the Holy Spirit) to bind the enemy.  Jesus said, "All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me."  (Matthew 28:18)  As a redeemed child of God, I have been given everything Jesus possesses by virtue of my adoption into the family and by the power of His cleansing blood.  All too often I simply do not choose to appropriate that power on my own behalf.  I am quick to pray for healing in other people's lives, but sometimes I fail to recognize the power I have to claim healing for myself.

I have finished my housework for the morning, have enjoyed a few minutes of good preaching on the television, and am now completing my most recent post to this blog.  When I finish this, I'll be entering into a time of Bible study for myself.  I bet Satan is aggravated to pieces over my victory... and I am celebrating it wholeheartedly.  There is a lovely little chorus that says,

 "In the name of Jesus, in the name of Jesus, we have the victory.  
In the name of Jesus, in the name of Jesus, demons will have to flee.  
Who can tell what God can do?  Who can tell of His love for you?  
In the name of Jesus, Jesus, we have the victory!"

If you are feeling "sick" today, ask yourself if there's something you are doing or have done which is contributing to that.  If the answer is yes, confess it, accept God's forgiveness, and move on (leaving that sin behind you).  If the answer is no, then recognize that the Devil will use anything he can to prevent us from experiencing the joy and power of God in our lives.  Rebuke that feeling today in the name of Jesus, call upon the Holy Spirit to empower you, and go forward with the knowledge and confidence of a Father who loves you and desires the best for every part of your life.

"The Lord is my Strength and my [impenetrable] Shield;  my heart trusts in, relies on, and confidently leans on Him, and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song will I praise Him.  The Lord is their [unyielding] Strength, and He is the Stronghold of salvation to [me] His anointed.  Save Your people and bless Your heritage; nourish and shepherd them and carry them forever."
(Psalm 28:7-9)

No comments:

Post a Comment