Search This Blog

Thursday, January 30, 2014

With the Ringing of the Phone

I have a confession to make.  Sometimes I wonder if God is really listening to my prayers.  I know intellectually that He is, but there are those moments when my emotions tend to override my intellect and I find myself wandering through a wilderness experience in life questioning whether or not the Lord is listening to my cries for guidance and strength.  If I were tempted to beat myself up over that moment of weakness, the devil would surely be more than happy to help me do so.  Sometimes faith is just plain hard work done in the face of what seems to be overwhelming evidence that we're in this thing called life pretty much alone.

The truth of the fact is simple:  Faith is only real, growing faith when it's all we have.  No evidence.  No clear indication of God's hand at work in a situation.  No real human reason why we should believe that the Lord cares for us and is always listening and working on our behalf.  Faith is simply faith.  It is a strong belief in God based on spiritual apprehension (understanding) rather than proof or immediate verification.  Often, our faith is all we have to hold onto during tough or uncertain times.  And every time we exercise faith, God not only sees, but He rewards us for that.

Earlier this morning I was sitting in my recliner praying about a certain situation that currently exists in my life.  It seems as if I've been praying about it for quite some time now, but I still do not have any clear, concise answer as to what is happening or what the future holds for me in this regard.  Today, I asked simply:  "Lord, if it is Your will, please give me just a glimpse into Your plan.  I'm weary in waiting, and I need Your strength and assurance to continue on in the battle."  I picked up my Bible and opened it to the book of Job. 

"There was a man in the land of Uz whose name was Job; and that man was blamelss and upright (righteous), and one who [reverently] feared God and abstained from and shunned evil [because it was wrong]."
(Job 1:1)

During the time of Job, righteousness was measured by adherence to the Law of Moses.  However, with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, righteousness became available to all who choose to accept His sacrifice and identify with the Son of God as personal Lord and Savior.  Therefore, by virtue of my salvation through Christ, I am righteous in the eyes of God... not perfect, mind you, but righteous nonetheless.  
"For the Lord delights in Justice and forsakes not the righteous."  (Psalm 37:28)

I am assured today that God is listening to my prayers.  The telephone rang during my Bible study and it was to offer me a glimpse into what might be ahead for my ministry.  I still don't have all the answers, but God has graciously and lovingly reassured me that He knows the desires of my heart and He wills to give them to me in His perfect timing.  So, today I will tackle the challenges of this day.  Tomorrow is still unknown... to me, that is.  How I rejoice in the omniscience [infinite knowledge] of God.  In Him, I can rest with the assurance that all will come to pass as it should and at just the right time.  To borrow a phrase from an old commercial, "Oh, what a relief it is!"
"Trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) in the Lord and do good; so shall you dwell in the land and feed surely on His faithfulness, and truly you shall be fed.  Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart; commit your way to the Lord [roll and repose each care of you load on Him]; trust (lean on, rely on, and be confident) also in Him and He will bring it to pass.  And He will make your uprightness and right standing with God go forth as the light, and your justice and right as [the shining sun of] the noonday.  Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean yourself upon Him."
(Psalm 37:3-7a)

No comments:

Post a Comment