Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Power of the Holy Spirit

As the years go by, I become more and more convinced of God's amazing power in my life.  His love and concern for me are evidenced daily, and I cherish the closer walk I'm building with Him through the ministry of the Holy Spirit.  Even though I was saved by grace over 30 years ago, I lived the majority of my Christian life without knowing the very real presence and power of the Holy Spirit and His desire to "dwell richly" in me.
“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you."
(John 14:15-17)

I think one of the greatest shortcomings of the church in today's culture is its lack of education and acknow-
ledgment of the third person of the Trinity... the Holy Spirit.  He is given many names:  Comforter, Counselor, Advocate, Strengthener, the Spirit of Truth, the Spirit of Life, and the list goes on.  In truth, Jesus promised that believers would be better off in this world once He had died and ascended back into heaven because then the Father would send the Holy Spirit in his place.  While here on earth as a human, Christ could only be in one place at one time.  The Holy Spirit, on the other hand, dwells within each and every believer and waits patiently for the opportunity to bequeath Christians with supernatural power in their daily lives.  How cool is that?!

One of the names given to the Holy Spirit is the "Stand By."  While it may seem like a peculiar label, it is actually very meaningful.  The Spirit stands always ready, always prepared, always eager to empower the believer.  He waits patiently for an opening... an opportunity to display Himself through the life of a Christian.  Sadly, too many Christians simply don't understand the purpose and intent of the Holy Spirit in their lives and they never appropriate that marvelous power for themselves.  I know I was ignorant of the fact that I could draw on the power of God Himself by simply calling upon the Holy Spirit to manifest himself in my daily life.  Now that I have been made aware of His holy presence within me, you may be certain I will avail myself of that amazing power, comfort, and wisdom every day.  I do not intend to live another day struggling along with the challenges of this earthly life when I have at my disposal the strength and amazing capability of the Holy Spirit.
"He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee."
(2 Corinthians 5:5)

There is a song I have sung down through the years in many of the churches I've attended.  The words are:
"Come, Holy Spirit, I need you;
Come, Sweet Spirit, I pray.
Come, in your strength and your power.
Come, in your own gentle way."
I think that singing this simple chorus at the beginning of every day would surely be a wise and prudent thing to do.  How can I possibly think that facing the daily challenges of this earthly life in my own feeble power and my weakness could ever be better than beginning every morning hand-in-hand with the Spirit of Power given me by my Heavenly Father?  

Scripture assures me that the Holy Spirit will guide me into all truth (John 16:13), and that truth will set me free to be all God desires me to be.  All this and more is available to me; I need only call upon the Holy Spirit and He will immediately jump into action for me.  That is amazing!!  No wonder Christ told His disciples they were to do nothing after His departure and ascension back into heaven until the Holy Spirit of God descended upon them to give them a supernatural power.  

"Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me.
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me.
Make me, melt me, mold me, use me.
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me."

So now you know (if you didn't before this).  Don't live another day handicapped without the power of the Holy Spirit in your life.  If you are a believer, you need only call out His name to appropriate His strength and wisdom.  

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.” 
(Acts 1:8)

“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed." 
(Luke 4:18)


No comments:

Post a Comment