Search This Blog

Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Sin of Sloth

I am not a morning person.  That, I'm sure, comes as no great revelation to those of you who know me well.  Typically, I roll out of bed somewhere between 8:30 and 9:30 a.m. and use the first hour of my time sipping a cup of coffee and dusting the cobwebs from my brain.  After watching Joyce Meyer's broadcast at 10:00 and Joseph Prince's ministry at 10:30, I'm somewhat ready to begin the day.  The really sad part of all that is the day is already nearly half gone.  By 11:00 a.m. most sane, productive people have walked the dog, taken out the trash, started and completed three loads of laundry, put supper in the crock pot, and headed off to face the world at work or complete daily chores.  I, on the other hand, am just thinking about brushing my teeth and applying some moisturizing lotion to my aged skin.  That's pitiful!

Today, I determined to get out of bed when my husband's alarm went off at 6:00 a.m.  While he was slipping into his work clothes, I stumbled out to the kitchen, started a pot of coffee (it's important to prioritize at 6:00 a.m.), prepared a frittata  and put it into the oven for breakfast, packed Bob's lunch, dropped two slices of bread into the toaster, set the table for two, and managed to squeeze out a smile when my husband made his way into the room.  I'm not sure who was more surprised by all of this... Bob or me.  You may be asking the same question that I suspect was on Bob's mind (though he was wise enough to keep it from reaching his lips) :  "Why the sudden change?  What has prompted this?"

Yesterday, I contemplated why some people seem to live such productive, rich lives and others just seem to drift from day to day without accomplishing much of any significance for the Lord.  The answer I reached was, quite simply, time management.  We are each given the same exact number of hours in any given day.  The week holds seven days the world over; and each year is comprised of twelve months whether you live in New York City or Biafra (a secessionist state that was located in Nigeria until 1970, but is now defunct... your geography lesson for the day).  Whether we choose to spend those hours being productive or lying in bed is up to us.  It is true that the human body requires rest.  A good night's sleep for the average adult should amount to seven or eight hours for maximum health, according to the Mayo Clinic.  Some of the side effects of too much sleep include: being tired (how ironic is that?), irritation, anxiety, nervousness, depression, diabetes and poor blood circulation among others.

I have been sleeping too much.  There.  I said it.  In addition, I have identified that habit as a sin-- specifically, sloth.  In case you don't know what sloth is, some of its synonyms are laziness, idleness, indolence, and sluggishness.  According to Wikipedia, sloth is one of the seven deadly sins that leads to spiritual or emotional apathy.  I'm ashamed to admit that I have let this sin go unaddressed in my life this long, but today is not too late to change that.  I can now confess this sin, accept God's forgiveness, know that He is cleansing me of this destructive habit, and move forward in the confidence that my days will be more productive and satisfying than ever before.  Hallelujah!

Habits are made, and habits can be broken.  Repeating something long enough creates a synaptic pathway in the brain and can happen in a relatively short period of time.  Breaking a habit is much more difficult and generally takes much more time.  Perhaps that is why so many scriptures warn us about even venturing into areas of sin for a short while.  Once in, it's very hard to get out.

Remember my friend, Norma?  I suspect that she will die one day while carrying a load of firewood in from the back forty on her shoulders, balancing a water jug on her head all the while, and milking the Guernsey trotting alongside her.  Okay, I'll admit that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but trust me-- the woman is anything but lazy.  Norma can accomplish more in one day than most people do in a week, even at *#+^ years of age.  (I may be lazy, but I'm not so foolish as to advertise a woman's age over the internet.  Suffice to say she is a bit older than I am.)  I admire this Christian friend the Lord has given to me, and you'll probably read her name often on this blog.  Get used to it.  Anyway, if I can aspire and manage to be half as productive as Norma, I'll feel pretty doggone good about myself.

I don't know what "bad habits" (sounds so much easier to swallow than "sins," doesn't it?) you may be struggling with in your life, but this I do know:  You will never be free of them until you identify the sin behind the behavior, confess it to God, accept His forgiveness, and move forward in the freedom and knowledge that He will cleanse you of it.  "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  (I John 1:9)

So, now it is 8:47 a.m.  I have cleaned up from breakfast, done my morning Bible reading and devotions, brushed my hair, and completed three loads of laundry-- not to mention creating this post.  It's off to make the bed, do a little housework, and enjoy reading another chapter in the book I'm currently studying.  This getting up early business isn't so bad after all.  I suspect that when 10:00 or 11:00 p.m. rolls around tonight, I will be ready for a good night's sleep.

"He who covers his transgressions will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes his sins will obtain mercy."  (Provers 28:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment